Wednesday 23 June 2010



The top image is of a piece called 'So I Will Build My Altar in the Fields' and was made in March 2008, and the bottom image is of the same place in my dad's farm in Somerset taken today, over two years later.
To put it very simply the piece originally dealt with the idea of worshipping and appreciating the land as you do with a religion, after having been set an environmental project on foundation. The piece was situated on the Coleridge way, a walk which crosses much of West Somerset, including the farm, and follows in the footsteps the poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge walked often occasionally with good friend Woodworth. I liked the idea of creating an artwork which dealt with the environment, as part of the environment.
Looking back it became for an audience who are both interested in the beauty of the area and those interested in the poet, therefore both the art and non art audience I have previously spoken of.
Also after reading about and feeling inspired by the exhibition at the South London Gallery 'Nothing is Forever' I see links with the way my work has disappeared. Altho while those pieces will intentionally be painted over, I prefer the way my work has disappeared, gradually being claimed back by the land which I was celebrating. Well that and some being knocked over by sheep...
But still id rather create works which become part of that space, rather then being intrusive and are allowed to change over time. Pieces that are not self destructive intentionally but in their nature will not be long lasting, quite an honest way for an artwork to go I think. Nothing lasts forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment